Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Another Failure... - Profiteroles

This is the third time I've tried baking profiteroles (a.k.a. kue sus in Indonesian). For previous trials I used different recipe. Well, I should say a lot of improvement. But.. Stupidly, I ignore the instruction saying "grease ur baking paper". As a result, after baking I couldn't remove those profiteroles from my baking paper (actually I used aluminium foil since I was out of baking paper).

Here is the recipe

For the pastry:
150ml water
50g butter
65g plain flour (but I used about 75g)
2 medium eggs

For the custard:
300ml milk
3 medium egg yolks
50g caster sugar (if you prefer sweeter custard, make it about 75g)
4 tbsp plain flour

Method:
1. For the pastry, place the water and the butter in a saucepan and bring to boil. Remove from the heat and beat in the flour. Return to the heat and cook for 1 minute or until the mixture forms a ball in the centre of the saucepan

2. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly, then gradually beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Once all the eggs have been added, beat until the paste is smooth and glossy. Pipe or spoon small balls onto slightly greased baking sheets, allowing plenty of room for expansion

3. Bake in preheated oven ( 175 Celsius - 200 Celsius for fan-forced oven ) for 20 - 25 minutes or until well risen and golden brown. Make sure all the profiteroles are golden brown to prevent them flattens once they are out of the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 130 - 150 Celsius then continue to bake for further 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool

4. For the custard, place the milk in another saucepan and bring to boil. In another saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and flour, then beat in the hot milk. Bring to the boil and simmer, whisking constantly for 2 minutes until it thickens and resembles custard. Cover and leave to cool

5. Spoon the custard into the profiteroles

Ta daaa...



This recipe was adopted from the following book (with some alterations):

No comments: