Saturday, March 07, 2015

Life in Another Country..

It has been a few months again since my last post. I can't believe that I am here, working in a foreign country where I get stares whenever I go. This reminds me of Westerners when they are travelling in Asian countries. It is like a rare sight.

Anyway, it has not been an easy right to get to where I am. But I do need to give myself some credit. I am here, a survival and I haven't gone insane. Lol..

Let's start from the beginning:

It was not a smooth ride to get here. The very first time in my life I was sent back home on the same day after 12+ hours flight. Flew in with business class, returned with economy class. That was the longest flight ever in my life. Sleep deprived, shocked, couldn't believe what has just happened, everything all at once..

Second attempt was a bit longer but I made it in the end. The positive part of this story is I have been to 5 countries in Africa in less than a week. That is South Africa, Ethiopia, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Mozambique. A long journey indeed!

Very first day at work, my phone was stolen. My Galaxy Note 3 which had a lot of photos that I have not backed up!!! Sad :(.

Apart from all the misfortunes, I still have my family to deal with. It was stressful, not knowing how to convince them that I will be alright here. Then it came down to my decision to let go of my job in Sydney. That was not an easy decision. But I have made my choice, I have to make sure I don't have any regrets.

Then trip to Zimbabwe to comply with Mozambique 30days working visa requirement. My money was stolen in flight, had the most unpleasant flight in the loudest plane ever.. But Zimbabwe itself was quite pleasant. Note to myself, pack light when you fly with LAM, especially if you have a connecting flight to catch!

Work side of things, I enjoyed the troubleshooting part of things. Things got a bit unpleasant after my manager left for home leave. I was an acting manager on behalf of her and got attacked the very first day in her position. Very unpleasant indeed. Of course it did involve a bit of tear shedding session, but I did pick myself up. I was cranky in a few occasions but hopefully my team members understand my good intention.

I have a very supportive manager and ops manager, who I always refer to as big boss. Well fed and well entertained for the past few weeks.

That sums up my life for the past 9 weeks! I am actually looking forward to go home but not the part that I may get a few scoldings from my family. We shall see what is going to happen..

No comments: