Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Book Review - Mukhtar Mai, in the Name of Honour

This is an excellent real story novel (is it called biography??) based on a Pakistani lady who experienced a gang rape, punishment for an 'honour crime' allegedly committed by her brother (this was actually was not true. Because there was never any proof.)

In this book, you'll get to see the culture of Pakistanian especially in remote areas. Women are treated very differently. They are considered as an item of exchange, forced into marriage or even as an offering to calm down any feuds between families.

Personally, I couldn't believe such cruel world still exist. Well, deep down my heart, I realize in remote areas, most women are still treatly unfairly, but not as bad as I thought.. Reading this book makes me thankful for what I am now..Being able to study aboard, treated equally not merely as a liveless object, given the chance to voice out my opinions.. I can't imagine if I am in Mukhtar Mai's position. I don't think I'll remain sane living in those conditions..

Anyway..it is worth to read this book, so one can see how women in this world are treated!! Be fair to women! We are a human being too..

No comments: